18.2.12

FIRST THINGS FIRST

I must confess. I have topped my personal record from here, I shot 21 rolls this time. As I think it will be slightly insane to sift through 750 photos and rearrange them thematically, I have decided to take the easy way out and do it chronologically instead, with perhaps a little running commentary.

The plan was to drive around the New Zealand south island, with a little detour to the country capital on the southern north island (isn't that confusing? but that's what they call it), so we flew in to Christchurch and took a connecting flight to Dunedin on the same day. 



The Dunedin Railway station. Many of the historical buildings are Victorian or Edwardian. Apparently the city has Scottish roots and Dunedin is actually the old Scottish Gaelic name for 'Edinburgh'.






It said, "Not appointed by her majesty, the Queen". I can see why.



We wandered around and found this place called Velvet Burger Respect. HC had the 'hangover cure' which was huge (I didn't know that high calories of bacon, eggs, hash  browns were good for hangovers...?). I had the 'mini brown' beef burger. Pasture-roaming, grass-fed cows really do taste different. Yummy.








An after-dinner drive around the Otago Peninsula. It's late summer so the sun doesn't set until around 9.30pm, which was nice because it even gave us room to factor in some afternoon naps (our way of travel will drive most people crazy I guess) *lol*.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful wonderful break and wow 21 rolls! More to see yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I scared myself too. I went with 22 rolls and I thought I was more than well prepared, but halfway through the trip I started worrying that I was going to run out and started seriously thinking about rationing. NZ is a 'dangerous' place :)

      Delete
  2. these are beautiful! i am so glad you took 21 rolls so we can see lots and lots and lots of your travels down in new zealand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) NZ is such a hidden gem, I hope to share a bit of that with you.

      Delete
  3. haha, Mike and I took naps all the time on our honeymoon too. You're on vacation!

    Beautiful photos thus far - excited to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah great minds think alike! I enjoyed your honeymoon photos a lot too. The shot of you with the pineapple in the car is still in my head, I think that was probably my all-time favourite.

      Delete
  4. how beautiful! you make me want to get a natura! but then again, it's really not about the camera but the photographer. can't wait to see the other photos you took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Fran but I think I must give more credit to that Natura camera. It's a point and shoot so it was really the camera, lens and of course the film itself that was coming together to give that great colour and contrast. But for this post actually most of the shots were taken with my Minolta X-700, it was my main camera during the trip :)

      Delete
  5. love love love. that same friend i mentioned in another comment swears by those cows and hates our meat here in the States. sigh. (she's organic all the way anyway and has converted me to a very large degree, though truthfully i eat little if any meat anyway).

    i am so enjoying this trip with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Please bear with me I still have tons of photos to upload. Oh but the cows and sheep in NZ are probably the happiest cows and sheep I have ever seen in my life, so much open space for grazing as compared to those poor things shut up in tiny pens.

      Delete