24.2.12

ROAD TRIPPING



The Southern Scenic Route is an impossibly beautiful drive stretching from Dunedin to Queenstown. It's the main reason why we chose to tour the south island instead of the north.

First, windows down and the radio off.





I realize you find out a lot about each other during a road trip. For one, he had to listen to my endless cheesy recitations everytime I saw scenery that reminds me of LOTR ("we have just passed into the realm of Gondor..."), and I had to keep stopping him from pulling up the car to peep at every single trickling creek along the way ("but every creek is different!"). Good times.





The number of humans we met on the drive? Maybe 5. The number of sheep we met? Maybe 5000.



Porpoise bay, where we spotted dolphins.




Dinner was Steward Island green-lipped mussels and steak at the HMS Kings, recommended by our motel hosts. We were looking forward to the famous bluff oysters but it was too early yet.


The Invercargill pit stop for the day.

13 comments:

  1. i have to get to new zealand one day. so incredibly beautiful. and a road trip seems to the ideal way to see the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I didn't expect it to be that beautiful too, and the roads are perfect for driving, it's erm, actually quite hard to get lost even for people with no sense of direction like me. You should go someday!

      Delete
  2. love the photos! and I do love a good road trip. I'd love to visit New Zealand, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, poor NZ is often forgotten because they're so far south. I'm glad to help them do a little 'publicity', if you can call it that :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Shirley, these pictures are really beautiful. I'd like to go there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, Singapore's as close as it can get already, compared to a lot of other countries, do put it in your to-go list ok? :)

      Delete
  4. Outstanding photographs! What a beautiful place. I hope you are having a smashing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello actually we are back home already, but we did have a smashing time, thanks :)

      Delete
  5. STUNNING. absolutely breathtaking. i can see why one of my best friends really, really complains about living here after leaving her home (this being her home). so jealous, hope i can make it there one day myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh which part of NZ is your best friend from? :) I can imagine the adjustment, things seems a lot more easygoing there. I hope you make a trip there too one day, it's a gorgeous place.

      Delete
  6. oh how I love the south island of NZ! i was there last november and can't wait to visit again, one week was too short!

    great photos btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, it must be a lot easier to visit NZ from Sydney, how lucky. I agree one week is too short, because two for us was too short too!

      Delete
  7. I did the same thing with my friend - wind down the window, blast some music & have ourselves a mad roadtrip down South! Lovely pictures and I wish I could see more blue waters again.

    ReplyDelete